Sunday, October 21, 2007

Time is marching on...

It feels very very odd to have had only two weeks of my term while other schools are on fall break/half term holidays. That said, however, the term is really only eight weeks long, which means I only have four more weeks of certain classes and my essays are due startlingly soon. And it's almost Halloween!! Time does fly...

Now that I've settled in a bit, I will say that Oxford is still lovely and still cold. It seems to rain every Tuesday without fail, but has been fairly sunny the rest of the time. I tend to spend my free evenings/afternoons curled up either by my window looking out onto the yard, or, if I'm brave, on the bench in the back garden with tea, blankets, hats, sweaters, and my books. And Olly, our squirrel. I've been climbing the apple tree to get at the last of the apples, and they are quite yummy :).

My course is going well, although I feel as if I can never ever possibly read everything I should. I've also been taking advantage of a few other lectures/seminars/classes...in addition to three basic classes I have to take, I've been going to an undergraduate lecture series on Brian Friel, the Postcolonial Literatures Seminar, and the Irish literature seminar (both of the seminars are interdisciplinary seminars that are open to anyone...generally they consist of lectures followed by questions, although the post-colonial one is changing this term (apparently) and we are doing a reading group and presentations and such as well). This means I get to meet more people and see more colleges. I am also taking an actual Printing Class...this has me more excited than one might think (in fact, Dean takes great pleasure in laughing at me when I talk about it because I jump up and down with excitement). It's taught by Paul Nash, who owns a fine press of his own, and takes place in the basement bibliography room of the Bodleian, and we get to produce books on the hand press there. More and more I am thinking about a career in special collections, and I am finding so many opportunities like this "thrown" in my way...I sat next to the head of Western Manuscripts at a formal dessert last week, and left with his card and a great deal of excitement!

Speaking of formal desserts...formal guest dinners consist of lots of food, wine, gowns (academic ones of course), and then more wine. And more food. They are very nice :).

2 comments:

Monkeypat83 said...

Yay for classes going well! I aced my art midterm tonight. I am beyond exhausted though so now I am going to bed.

Magnolia said...

Well said.