Monday, November 19, 2007

Rain. Sore Throat. Yeats. Bliss.



The ceiling of ChristChurch Cathedral...

It has finally started raining here...we had nearly a month of nice weather (nice for autumn at least)...chilly but often sunny. No more. The sky OPENED yesterday; unfortunately it was the day Mary and Whitney were here to see Oxford. It was too cold to stay outside for long. We took a quick wander around town (can't see too much on a Sunday anyhow) and ended in Christ Church and the Cathedral. As I had not yet been in, I enjoyed it as well...then hot drinks at G&Ds (for you, Colin) and a bit of shopping.

I woke up this morning, however, with a sore throat again. After being pretty sick for more than a week a bit ago, I'm not pleased. And this is a busy week; I have to get a good start on my essay before Friday, do some serious dancing, and be in London Thursday for Thanksgiving.

Speaking of which, Thanksgiving makes me so happy. Mary and Whitney smuggled us canned pumpkin, something of a luxury item in Oxford. There is one known store that carries it, and it runs about $3 a can. I have to make pumpkin pie, chocolate pie, and candied yams, and everyone else is bringing something as well. I think we'll end up doing dinner picnic style on a tablecloth on the floor, as getting tables and chairs for 15 people in Dean's living room on short notice is a stretch.

As I'm under the weather, I've been avoiding the world except for class and dance practice, and staying in bed with my Irish literature. It's not such a bad life.

1 comment:

Monkeypat83 said...

I hope you are feeling better and had fun at your Thanksgiving picnic. I am going shopping at Valley Faire tomorrow!