Saturday, November 8, 2008

do you have a book? i think it has a red cover? or maybe blue...and some white letters?

That, my friends, gets asked ALL THE TIME.
Reader: "I'm looking for a book...."
Me: "Well, you've come to the right place...." (inner cringe)
Reader: "I don't know the title" (well, we can work with that, there are ways of finding these things)
"But I think it has a red cover..."
Look around you! You're in a library! Argh!!!! Cue head bashing on wall etc.

Generally, I really like helping people find things in the library. I spent all Thursday afternoon tracking down an 1860s biblical text for a reader and it was so much fun (despite the fact that we discovered that there was a serious catalogue error and it had to be passed onto someone else). It's just the people who don't bother to think that worry me...

Anyhow, life is bopping along. Had a traumatising experience at Catweazle the other night with a man called The Naked Mystic (aka Rupert, which tops it all off). Envision Rumi, a shiny loancloth, and then nothing. Will's closing act (as Faceometer) saved the day, however, with his fork, balloon, and five figs. Listen here (although the figs have yet to appear).

In other news, certain British town councils have decided that their employees must stop using latin terms because people...gasp...might not know them!!! No more vice versa, e.g., etc....etc. Sigh.

And I'm pleased Obama won (although we'll see where it goes from here), but if one more person who doesn't even know who McCain is asks me if I'm happy with the election, I will strangle them. Seriously.

No comments: