Monday, August 10, 2009

Lovely By Surprise and Flann O'Brien



Ok, I haven't actually seen the film yet (more later when I do), but it seems intriguingly like my favorite favorite book, At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien (if you link to Wiki please don't believe absolutely everything it says. Well. It's literary criticism and I happen to differ from certain critics' opinions). In AS2B, writer writes about student who is writing about a novelist whose characters decide it's 'undemocratic' to be forced to fill their roles. They rebel, put novelist on trial, etc. (I. Love. This. Book. I wrote my Master's dissertation on it and still love it. It rocks).

So, from what I can gather about Lovely By Surprise (a Kirt Gunn film), the author is writing about fictional characters whose connections to reality become so real that they begin to influence her actions. I suppose there are other books/ideas that may have influenced the film, but of course I like to believe in O'Brien :). I want to see it. If anyone has/does, please let me know!

3 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

I haven't seen the film, but it looks quite intriguing and the idea of connections influencing reality reminds me of a book I just read called Birdy. It's a WWII-era story of two boys, Birdy (who obsessed with birds and with becoming one) and his friend Al. Birdy finds himself in a dream state where he is one of the birds his aviary, and his reality becomes the dream, which begins to influence "true" reality. It's very interesting. Also, I really want to read AS2B. If I wasn't so bogged down with Marx, the American Constitution, theories of contemporary art, and the invention of heterosexuality, I'd read it right now. Hahahahaha.

Rachel said...

P.S. Just fyi: my computer was being weird and I deleted my comment and re-posted it.